Facial Recognition has become a part of everyday life for many people. Whether users are unlocking their phones, entering a workplace, or logging into social media accounts, all have been made easy with face recognition technology. The face recognition process has progressed from the basic computer version methods to moving forward towards a machine learning process merely based upon artificial intelligence.
What is Face Recognition?
Face recognition is software or a system that is used to extract and verify the identity of a human face through digital images or from video footage. They generally work on the principle of identifying people through their body measures, head and face, and can provide the details about them determining their gender, age, and emotions.
Based on the biometric identification method, face verification systems can track and monitor individuals in real-time. Some of the more advanced systems even allow capturing information from verifying blurred pictures to knowing about the identity of a person. It maps an individual facial data mathematically, stores the data as a faceprint, and matches it with an authentic person.
How Does The Face Recognition Process Really Work?
Facial detection processes use algorithms based upon machine learning and artificial intelligence technologies. In most cases, it captures information by detecting the eyes first, then the nose, mouth, and other facial elements. After this, the algorithm validates that it has extracted a face and after performing additional tests it confirms that a face has been detected in real-time. The algorithms need to be trained and updated to make the system error-free and ensure accuracy by going through a large set of data conceding thousands of images which let them decide whether it is an image containing a face or an object.
Advantages and Disadvantages of a Facial Recognition System
As every technology comes with its own pros and cons, the same goes for face verification technology as well. It is no doubt that it is a powerful tool but how society uses it in what ways matters a lot.
Advantages of Face Recognition
- A reliable source of security at workplaces: In order to detect criminals and terrorists at various places, this technology can come in handy. By the use of face match online features in the workplaces, it helps the businesses to keep track of the workers as well as the visitor’s attendance. In addition to that, at what time the employees make an exit and entry can also be monitored. Not only that, it identifies the strangers whose facial information does not match with the system.
- Cost-effective way: Since the whole process will be conducted by a machine-related product, the labor used to perform that same specific task is minimized to none. Fewer resources are used as most of the data stored is computerized which helps in saving money.
- More accurate results: As in the past, verification of the identities was conducted manually by an individual, which increased the chance of errors and inefficiency. But with face verification solutions surging in the market, a higher rate of accuracy has been observed as the process works on automated generated results.
- Time-Efficient: The face verification procedure saves the users from undergoing a whole set of commands from either entering into a place or unlocking their phones without any hassle while saving their time.
Disadvantages of Face Recognition
- Vulnerabilities are exposed: Data stored in the system, containing thousands of images of different people, can sometimes become vulnerable to hackers and criminals proving to be very dangerous.
- Privacy Issues: Working on the biometric identification method, it can easily track the activities of the individuals at all times causing violation to the privacy of people.
- Less reliability: As it uses the automated generated method to detect faces, it can match a lookalike and give access to them even if they are not the actual individual and are masking up the other person.
- Storage Problems: For containing and handling huge amounts of data, systems need to be advanced and capable enough to store data otherwise they could create any troubles.
Here’s What Needs to be Remembered about Facial Recognition Systems
In conclusion, face verification technology is advancing with time and is going to stay with people for a long period of time. Yet it has its own set of benefits and flaws, but those flaws can get hindered with the passage of time. Detecting faces, and easing the day-to-day operations of life is a major benefit that people look forward to. Applications, services, and much more utilize this technology according to their own needs. From surveillance cameras, photo-tagging, logging accounts, and even using Snapchat filters all of this includes facial identification which is rising day by day in the world.