When Does Your Business Need to File Taxes in Canada?

Source: vhaccounting.ca

Depending on your career, business, commission, farm, or place of business, you might make money on your own.

Any activity you engage in for profit or with a realistic expectation of profit is considered business income. The following are examples of businesses:

a calling, a profession, a trade, a product, a project of any type, an adventure, or an activity of a commercial character.

Earnings from a job are not earnings from a business. And you should file taxes within the given period to avoid paying the penalty to the CRA.

Source: liveabout.com

Let us look at a few pieces of information you should include in your tax return. Your self-employment income, both gross and net, must be included in your return (or loss). If there is a loss, indicate it in brackets on the pertinent line. You must either include in your gross revenue or deduct from your expenses any COVID-19 assistance you received from the federal, provincial, or territorial governments for your firm, such as the CEWS, CERS, CRHP, or FHBGP. If you obtained a government loan, the funds are not taxed, but you must include any loan forgiveness in your business’s revenue in the year you received it.

If you were a limited or inactive partner, you must record your net rental income (or loss) on the appropriate line of your tax return, as well as your net agricultural income (or loss). Other net gains or losses should be reported on the corresponding line of your tax return.

If you were an active partner and got a T5013 slip, you must include the gross amount in the appropriate areas on your return. Include your share of the partnership’s net income in the appropriate boxes on the pertinent lines of your return (or loss). If you didn’t receive a T5013 slip, you must follow the instructions on the applicable self-employment form to report your share of the partnership’s net income (or loss) on the appropriate self-employment line of your return.

Source: freshbooks.com

Every tax year, regardless of whether any taxes are owed, all resident corporations (apart from tax-exempt Crown businesses, Hutterite colonies, and registered charities) are required to submit a corporation income tax (T2) return. These include:

  • Philanthropic institutions
  • Businesses free from taxes
  • Dormant companies

You should file taxes in Canada after six months after the end of the tax year. Depending on when the tax year for a business ends, the day the business should file the tax varies. Keep in mind that the remaining balance should be paid after two months following the end of a tax year.

The majority of businesses may electronically file their returns on the web. Certain corporations whose yearly gross revenues are greater than $1 million are required to do so. Using CRA-certified software, more than 90% of all corporations electronically file their T2 returns. 95% of electronically filed returns are processed within 6 weeks, making it safer, more convenient, and quicker than paper filing.